Business and Sustainability Performance Report 2021
“We have achieved, or are on course to achieve, most of our sustainability targets, and are preparing to announce our ESG strategy and roadmap for 2030.”
Our commitment to sustainability was recognized by several independent organizations, with a Platinum rating from Ecovadis, an AA rating from MSCI, an A rating from CDP 2021 Supplier Engagement, and inclusion in various independent media surveys of sustainability and diversity.
REDUCING LANDFILLED WASTE
* The use by Constellium of any MSCI ESG Research LLC or its affliates (“MSCI”) data, and the use of MSCI logos, trademarks, service marks or index names herein, do not constitute a sponsorship, endorsement, recommendation, or promotion of Constellium by MSCI. MSCI services and data are the property of MSCI or its information providers, and are provided ‘as-is’ and without warranty. MSCI names and logos are trademarks or service marks of MSCI.
PLAYING OUR PART IN THE FIGHT AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE
We are committed to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
reduction in scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions intensity in 2025 versus 2015
SAFETY IS OUR #1 PRIORITY
Our safety results are among the best in the industry, and we remain committed to continuous improvement.
versus target of 1.95 RCR in 2021
- 44% vs 2016
* Recordable Case Rate
Our 2021 Sustainability Targets
In our 2011 Business and Sustainability Report, we committed to our first targets, and we added and modified a few of them along the road. Ten years later, we are able to report on our progress before we move to the next phase of our sustainability journey, with new targets to be announced in 2022.
- Further improve our safety record - we reduced our Recordable Case Rate by 10% per annum
- Reduce production waste sent to landfill - we reduced our production waste going to landfill by 37%
- Engage our people - we increased our employee satisfaction by 7 points
- Increase customer satisfaction - we conducted a customer survey every two years
- Build a standard for aluminium
- Boost beverage can recycling - we are on track to reach an 80% beverage can recycling rate in Europe
- Reduce greenhouse gas intensity by 25% vs 2015 (2025 target) - in 2021, our GHG intensity for Scope 1 and 2 decreased 14% vs 2015
- Increase recycled input to 685,000 metric tons (2026 target) – 675,000 in 2021
- Sustainable purchasing - we achieved 62% certification of our Group spending vs a 70% target
- Energy efficiency – we did not achieve our 10% reduction target
- Strengthen our communities - 61% of our sites conducted a community program or event
Constellium is a proud supplier for the new Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck
We help auto manufacturers produce lighter, safer, and more
efficient vehicles, as well as electric vehicles with
Constellium joined Can Manufacturers Institute (CMI) members in the industry’s commitment to U.S. aluminium beverage can recycling rate targets, starting with 70% by 2030.
Flying Airware® to deep space
Constellium’s innovative, high-performance Airware® solution is critical to the success of NASA’s Artemis deep space exploration program, including the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft.
Women taking their place on the line
Morgane was first hired by Constellium in 2006 as a production operator. She eventually left the job, then discovered the foundry and decided to get her CACES certificate, which allows her to operate industrial machinery. In 2021, Constellium hired her again, as the first woman working in the Montreuil-Juigné foundry. "I like that it’s not assembly line work,” she says. “It’s a very technical job, with the added bonus of a close-knit environment. When I finish my training, I'll do exactly what my male colleagues do.”
Isabelle is a pioneer: the first woman to work as a foundry operator at our Issoire plant. Hired in 2018, she will soon finish her training. "Didier, my tutor, has been at my side all along the way. Currently, I’m learning how to manage startups and shutdowns. It's a team effort: transforming aluminium from a liquid to a solid state requires vigilance and a lot of know-how, and our job is not routine. I have always been treated with respect. I am convinced that a woman can do this job as well as a man, and that mentalities are changing."
After she was hired in March 2018, Nathalie became the first woman to work at our Ussel foundry. She and 11 co-workers benefited from a 14-month training program at Constellium. Both theoretical and practical, it allowed her to discover the range of jobs available at the company, and to acquire a deeper knowledge about this sector of the industry. She learned rigor, versatility, and organization, which have all served her well at the foundry. She notes that her job also requires good physical condition, since she walks between 5 and 10 km per day. Nathalie is proud to be working here, one of the only women in a world of men, saying that “melting is the birth of a piece—the texture and color of a hot alloy make it a nearly magical moment.”
2021 marks 10 years of Constellium, and the publication of our 10th Business and Sustainability Report. We are celebrating a decade of growth, hard work, innovation, and commitment. Together, we will continue to shape the future of aluminium, responsibly and safely.
Constellium (NYSE) is a global sector leader that develops innovative, value added aluminium products for a broad scope of markets and applications, including aerospace, automotive and packaging. Constellium generated €6.2 billion of revenue in 2021.